AIIP 30th Annual Conference Highlights
"Partnering for Success" at #AIIP16
The Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP) hosted its 30th Annual Conference April 7-9, 2016, at the Omni William Penn Hotel, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Speakers & Sessions
Bruce Rosenstein - "Creating a Compelling Future: Business and Beyond" (AIIP 2016 Roger Summit Award Lecture)
Nicole Fende, The Numbers Whisperer - "Strength in Numbers: Make the Most of Your Essential Success Partner"
Leona Mitchell, University of Pittsburgh - "Five Common Mistakes Every Consultant Makes"
Jeff Evans, Designed Learning - "Flawless Consulting - An Interactive Session"
Marge King and Joann Wleklinski - "Collaboration: How AIIP Networking and Two Glasses of Wine Turned into a New$letter"
Mark Goldstein and Marydee Ojala - "60 Sites in 60 Minutes: Partnering with the Internet"
Jocelyn Sheppard (coordinator) - "Partnerships: Real-Life Stories from AIIP Members"
Tips in the Riverboat: Roundtable Sessions
- Lynn Strand - "Five Ps to Success: Planning, Partnering, Personality, Parties, and Perseverance"
- Jane Langeman, AIIP President-Elect - "Be the Change You Want to See at AIIP"
- Jennifer Burke - "Get Your Head Out of the Clouds, Put Your Business in the Cloud Instead"
- Beth Plutchak - "Manage Your Time When You Cannot Work a Typical 9-to-5 Day"
- Judith Binder - "Primary Research Interviewing Tips and Techniques"
- Matt Von Hendy - "A Solopreneur Offering Webinars for Pay and Play: Lessons Learned"
- Tom Wolff - "Security, Encryption, Passwords, Backup, Devices and the Cloud"
- Susanne Bjorner - "Redefining Retirement"
Premium Workshops"Declare Your Independence & Make the Move from Employee to Successful Business Owner" - Jocelyn Sheppard"Research Beyond Your Borders: International Research on Foreign Companies, Individuals, Governments, Markets & Industries" - Arthur Weiss"Landing a Project ... Then Nailing It: How to Partner with Clients to Win Assignments and Deliver Quality Results Every Time" - Ulla de Stricker and Cindy Shamel
"Win/Loss Analysis: How to Clinch and Keep the Business You Want - A Call to Action for Information Professionals" - Ellen Naylor
"Partnering with Info Vendors and Business Services to Bring Members Value" - Jan Knight
First Timers Orientation - Mary Ellen Bates and Cindy Shamel
Birds of a Feather Networking Lunch - Cathy Chiba, coordinator
"Posters & Beyond" presentations
- Mary Ellen Bates
- Valeria Hunter
30th Anniversary Celebration
AIIP past president and founding member Susanne Bjorner spoke about AIIP’s history and accomplishments over 30 years of connections and conference-going.
AIIP recognized the recipients of several annual Awards during the conference.
- Roger Summit Lecture Award – Bruce Rosenstein
- Sue Rugge Memorial Award for mentoring - Jan Sykes, Information Management Services, Inc.
- Myra T. Grenier Award for a first-time attendee - Liz Lamoreaux, Lamoreaux Research, Inc.
- AIIP Connections Writer's Award - Cathy Chiba, Dauratus Research, Inc., for her article, "Overcoming Stage Fright: Lessons from Centre Stage," AIIP Connections 29(4), December 2015. Read it here (PDF).
- Pam Wegmann International Award – Judy Koren
Sponsors & Exhibitors
Bates Information Services
American Economic Association
CerCo Research & Consulting
Specialty & Promotional Sponsors
Archer Van Den Broeck Ltd.
The Hetherington Group
Intellicraft Research, LLC
MHC Info Solutions
Red House Consulting
Bates Information ServicesWhat Attendees Said
C3 Business Information
Society for Technical Communication (STC)
Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP)
University of Pittsburgh School of Information Sciences
"I loved the additional planned opportunities for networking including the Birds of a Feather lunch that gave more opportunities to mix it up."Community Give-Back
"The networking with others is the best! Thanks for always making a good amount of time for this."
"I love this tradition [of introductions]! I am a first-timer and had several people tell me they sought me out because of what they heard me say in my introduction."
"The [30th anniversary] slideshows and speeches were great. Gave me a sense of the history of the community."
"The overall discussions and presentations connected for me and led to some significant "aha" moments."
"I felt like I'd come home."
Pittsburgh’s Center of Life Jazz program
, a source for free music education and performance opportunities for youth across the Pittsburgh region, was the beneficiary of AIIP’s 2016 local give-back drive. Together AIIP members raised $2,025
for COL Jazz and enjoyed a live performance. AIIP extends its thanks to Roger Summit for his generous matching donation. Save the Date!AIIP's 31st Annual Conference will be held May 18-21, 2017
, at the Hampton Inn Convention Center on the waterfront in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Thanks to the 2016 Conference Team
Mary Ellen Bates
Peggy Garvin (2016 Conference Committee Chair)
Anne Hengehold (2016 Conference Program Planning Subcommittee Chair)
Ulla de Stricker
page updated 6/1/2016